A dental white filling is a treatment performed for teeth that have been damaged by decay or trauma. Dental fillings help to restore the tooth back to its normal shape, size and function whilst at the same time preventing further decay.
At Dazzling Smiles Dental Lara, we provide white/composite dental fillings which are made to blend in with the colour of your teeth. Introduced in the 1960’s they are a combination of biocompatible plastics and glass (silicon dioxide).
Composite resins can not only be used to repair damaged or rotten teeth, but they can also be used to improve the cosmetic aspects of your smile by bonding to your front teeth to re colour and reshape.
Process for a Composite Filling
- In most cases, before a filling can be completed, we will have to numb up the area we are working in to ensure that you will not be in any pain during the procedure.
- Once we are certain that local anaesthesia has been achieved, we will use high speed dental burs to prepare the tooth which involves removing decay and or cracks within the tooth.
- Once the cavity is clear of decay and cracks, the cavity will be prepared with etch and bond to allow the composite resin to chemically bond with the healthy tooth structure.
- Composite resin is then placed in layers to build up the tooth and cured incrementally with aspecialised UV light.
- The composite restoration is then polished to prevent staining and wear.
Composite fillings also bond chemically with your natural healthy tooth which helps to support the remaining tooth structure and prevent breakage.
In certain rare cases, patients who have composite restorations can experience some post-operative sensitivity. This his often short lived and easily handled with over the counter pain killers.