Wisdom tooth extraction is a surgical procedure to remove one or more wisdom teeth — the four permanent adult teeth located at the back corners of your mouth.
If a wisdom tooth doesn’t have room to grow (impacted wisdom tooth) this may result in pain, infection or other dental problems and you’ll likely need to have it pulled. At Dazzling Smiles Dental Lara we offer comfortable and reliable wisdom tooth extraction services.
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom Teeth or also known as 3rd molars are the last set of teeth to erupt into the mouth. Most people have 4 wisdom teeth, one in each corner of the mouth. This being said not, everyone has
Wisdom Tooth Pain Symptoms:
It is a common occurrence for patients to ignore their pain or to be unsure if the pain they are experiencing is from their wisdom teeth. If you suspect your pain to be associated with your wisdom tooth it is important make an appointment with us right away.
Ignoring the symptoms of wisdom teeth could cause additional problems down the track, like a more complicated surgery (with higher costs)
Signs of Wisdom Teeth Pain include:
- Tenderness and jaw pain
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Bad breath
- Bad taste in mouth when eating foods
- Look for cysts, which are pockets of liquid, around the tooth
Why do Wisdom Teeth Hurt?
When there is no place for wisdom teeth to grow, it gets trapped by the surrounding bone and the surrounding teeth. This trapped tooth may try to push through causing pain on eruption into the mouth. Another reason why wisdom teeth can cause pain is trapped food and bacteria. When a wisdom tooth partially erupts into the mouth, a flap of gum can often grow over the tooth. Food and bacteria can accumulate under this flap as it is notoriously difficult to clean. This can lead to pain infection, swelling and bad breath.If you feel like you have any of the above symptoms, it may be a good idea to get your wisdom teeth checked. Other consequences of erupting wisdom teeth can also include:
∙Damage to molars
∙Crowding of the front teeth
Process for wisdom teeth removal?
If you are having pain, discomfort, infection or swelling from your wisdom tooth, you may need wisdom teeth removal in Lara. When you come in to have your wisdom tooth or teeth removed, an x-ray will be taken to discern the best and safest way to remove your wisdom tooth. Depending on your case, our experienced dentists will recommend a treatment plan that works for your schedule and financial needs. Simple cases can be treated on the same day under local anaesthetic however complicated cases which may require surgery can take more planning and may even involve referral to a specialist oral surgeon. It is vital to remember that during the process of wisdom teeth removal, you will be completely numb so your whole experience will be painless.
Care after wisdom teeth removal in Lara and complications
1.No spitting, vigorous rinsing or brushing for the first 24 hours to prevent recurring bleeding
2.Avoid hard, hot and spicy foods as the extraction area can be slightly tender.
3.No smoking/drinking for the first 48 to 72 hours following the extraction
4.Stick to warm, soft foods for the first 24 to 48 hours
5.Pain killers can be taken in regular intervals to manage the pain6.Twice daily rinses with warm salty water
7.Cold packs can be used to lessen potential swelling
Common Complications After Wisdom Tooth Extractions in Lara
1. Pain – This is to be expected after any tooth removal. The best way to relive this pain is with pain killers such as Panadol or Neurofen.
2. Swelling – Swelling is a normal reaction of your body to trauma. Swelling usually peaks at about 2-3 days post extraction. The best way to lessen swelling is with cold packs at regular intervals
3. Infection – This is a very rare occurrence after extractions. If infection symptoms arise, return to us immediately and we will prescribe antibiotics
4. Bleeding – This is also a relatively normal complication after tooth extraction. Our team at Dazzling Smiles Lara will provide you with extra gauze after your extraction. The best way to stop bleeding is to place the gauze into the area and bite onto it for about 20 minutes.