Wisdom Teeth or also known as 3rd molars are the last set of teeth to erupt into the mouth. Most people have 4 wisdom teeth, one in each corner of the mouth. This being said not, everyone has wisdom teeth.
Why do wisdom teeth hurt?
When there is no place for wisdom teeth to grow, it gets trapped by the surrounding bone and the surrounding teeth. This trapped tooth may try to push through causing pain on eruption into the mouth. Another reason why wisdom teeth can cause pain is trapped food and bacteria. When a wisdom tooth partially erupts into the mouth, a flap of gum can often grow over the tooth. Food and bacteria can accumulate under this flap as it is notoriously difficult to clean. This can lead to pain infection, swelling and bad breath.
If you feel like you have any of the above symptoms, it may be a good idea to get your wisdom teeth checked. Other consequences of erupting wisdom teeth can also include:
- Damage to molars
- Crowding of the front teeth
If you are concerned about whether or not you have wisdom teeth or whether or not you need them removed, give our team at Dazzling Smiles Lara a call on (03) 5282 2222
Process for wisdom teeth removal?
If you are having pain, discomfort, infection or swelling from your wisdom tooth, you may need wisdom teeth removal in Lara.
When you come in to have your wisdom tooth or teeth removed, an x-ray will be taken to discern the best and safest way to remove your wisdom tooth.
Depending on your case, our experienced dentists will recommend a treatment plan that works for your schedule and financial needs. Simple cases can be treated on the same day under local anaesthetic however complicated cases which may require surgery can take more planning and may even involve referral to a specialist oral surgeon.
It is vital to remember that during the process of wisdom teeth removal, you will be completely numb so your whole experience will be painless.
Care after wisdom teeth removal in Lara and complications
- No spitting, vigorous rinsing or brushing for the first 24 hours to prevent recurring bleeding
- Avoid hard, hot and spicy foods as the extraction area can be slightly tender.
- No smoking/drinking for the first 48 to 72 hours following the extraction
- Stick to warm, soft foods for the first 24 to 48 hours
- Pain killers can be taken in regular intervals to manage the pain
- Twice daily rinses with warm salty water
- Cold packs can be used to lessen potential swelling
Common complications after wisdom tooth extractions
Some of the most common complications after wisdom tooth removal include:
- Pain – This is to be expected after any tooth removal. The best way to relive this pain is with pain killers such as Panadol or Neurofen.
- Swelling – Swelling is a normal reaction of your body to trauma. Swelling usually peaks at about 2-3 days post extraction. The best way to lessen swelling is with cold packs at regular intervals
- Infection – This is a very rare occurrence after extractions. If infection symptoms arise, return to us immediately and we will prescribe antibiotics
- Bleeding – This is also a relatively normal complication after tooth extraction. Our team at Dazzling Smiles Lara will provide you with extra gauze after your extraction. The best way to stop bleeding is to place the gauze into the area and bite onto it for about 20 minutes.
How much does it cost?
The cost of wisdom tooth removal varies from person to person and is based off a variety of factors. Some of these factors may include the position of the tooth, the shape of the tooth and roots, and its association with surrounding structures such as nerves. Simple extractions can be as little as $200 where as more complicated procedures can be up to $450.